It’s not uncommon for me to discuss my business ideas and problems with my kids. They are at the age where they still have clarity of thought and purpose, they aren’t the least bit worried about offending me and they like being able to participate. They also feel like stakeholders in the success of my business. My unorthodox hours can take time away from them, so they want to make sure it’s worth it. They also want to ensure I make enough money to cover new books, Lego Bricks, movies and the supply of chocolate we’ve all grown accustomed to.
Last night, on the way to Staples, I started a conversation with my nine year old son about wanting to grow the business. I asked him his ideas and was blown away by his reply.
“Dad, I can tell you four things.
1. You need three times what you’re doing now. Expand, expand, expand. Ask all your clients if they have friends who need help too. You know lots of people, but all those people know lots of people too and some of them could use you. You just don’t know each other yet.
2. Ask all your old friends, if they believe in the things you believe in, for help. They might know people or they can help sell for you. You don’t have to pay them a lot, maybe what you’d pay a child, because their your friends, so money’s not as important.
3. Don’t waste time selling little things. Sell the big important things. Little things are little dollars. You want to expand so you want the big dollars.
4. Make sure you have a bunch of people helping you. If you’re going to expand you can’t do the work you do and sell it too, you don’t have enough time. You want people to know who you are and how you can help them. It’s better when a lot of people do that for you – not just one guy alone in an office.”
I think you’ll agree that’s sound advice for any firm wanting to grow.
I’ll be contacting my clients and friends and tapping their networks with renewed vigor in search of people and organizations who need help achieving their goals. In the meantime here’s some ways you could help.
- Connect with me on social media. You can find me as KarlBimshas on most channels, or call me at 619-497-2670 and let’s talk about your goals.
- To learn about what I believe in read Eradicate Despondency and My Leadership Point of View. If you can help support those endeavors, let’s talk.
- If you or someone you know could benefit from my personal or professional consulting services, use any method to contact me and let’s set up introductions.
- If there is something you need from me to help you achieve your own goals, tell me because I’d love to help you.
If nothing else, I hope you heed the four tips my son gave me.
- Meet more people
- Have friends who support your mission
- Go big
- Don’t go it alone
If you don’t advance confidently, you’re not really advancing.